Virtual Events Platform Cybercrime
Virtual events can be prone to many types of cybercrimes such as stealing data or conference bombing. Conference bombing is an act where an uninvited guest gains access to your conference to disrupt your meeting’s flow.
Given below are some instances of virtual events bombing-
- The uninvited guest proceeds to present inappropriate or illegal content to get a response.
- He or she posts malicious clickable links in the chat box to trigger the users and get them to click any malicious document, website, or exe file that can be potentially dangerous.
- He or she interacts with the audio and video of the virtual conference platform amid the on-going conference in pursuit of disrupting the meeting.
Virtual event Platform Tips for Event Planners and Event Software Vendors
- The attendees should not be given full access to share on the virtual platform except the host. However, the attendees should be able to share a document or present it when permitted.
- Block or remove attendees who haven’t verified their identity or are unknown to you on the virtual event platform. They may/may not be a threat to the event, but it is essential to maintain the event’s security.
- The meetings’ recording should be accessible to the attendees only on the input of the correct password. This password should be shared only with the attendees via mail or text messages.
- Implementation of sophisticated encryption technology for storing a computing session is essential.
- Multi-factor authentication for event attendees on the virtual event platform should be established.
- Recorded meetings and events should be hosted and secured confidentially via a responsible party.
- QnA sections or chatbox should have a URL filtering or malware detection feature.
- A feature to prevent the screen-recording or capture of the virtual event should be enabled to avoid the unsolicited recording of the session.
- Do not share the meeting link or a general invite on social media or public forums. This can enable unauthorized, uninvited people to join your virtual event, and that can lead to a huge mess.
- Make sure your virtual event or meeting has a unique and complex password that involves a combination of numbers, lower case alphabets, upper case alphabets, and/or special characters. Avoid using passwords such as company name, date, etc.
Virtual event Platform Security Tips for Corporates and IT departments
- A study suggests that 90% of the data breaches occur due to human negligence or human error rather than network setup. Thus, it is crucial to make sure the attendees are well-oriented about the virtual event platform, security, and procedures.
- Ensure that there is substantial network security to protect the corporate network against any unauthorized intrusions.
- Build up endpoint security to protect your network and access devices from any unwanted interactions.
- Ensure there is a firewall that secures the network from unauthorized inbound and outbound access.
- Conduct training sessions for your employees concerning the latest cybersecurity practices and precautions especially with relation to virtual event platforms.
Virtual event Platform Security Tips for Attendees
- When using a virtual event platform to join a virtual event, make sure you open/install the software directly from the manufacturer’s website and no other unauthorized source. E.g., If you are using FLOOR as your virtual event platform, ensure you and the attendees use the official website of 10 Times or FLOOR.
- Do not share extremely critical or confidential information during a virtual event. Always share critical data via official email only.
- Never provide your corporate credentials at a third-party event or event. If accessing the event requires a password, always opt for a new password and not your regular password.
- Do not click on any unauthorized links or documents shared at the virtual event.
Many event planners and organizations ignore networking security, but it is vital to safeguard a virtual event as much as a physical event.
Not all virtual event platforms offer all the above features which is why it is essential to take your time and choose the best and most secure virtual event platform that has security measures in place. At the same time, cyber security needs to be treated as one of the top priorities for virtual event platforms to ensure a smooth-going event.